History Of Ned's Point Lighthouse
NED’S POINT LIGHT SIGNIFICANT DATES
1837 Construction of the lighthouse and buildings
1838 March 20 or 21: Lighting of lamps for the first time
1857 Fresnel lens of the Fifth-Order lens installed
1888 The stone light keeper’s house replaced by a wood frame structure
- Tower rebuilt
1896 New lantern installed
1923 Keeper’s house floated on a barge to Wing’s Neck, Pocasset. Light now automated.
1939 Town voted not to buy “Ned’s Point Lighthouse Reservation” for $7,000.
- S. Lighthouse Service merged with the U.S. Coast Guard
1949 Committee formed to try again to buy reservation from the federal government.
1952 Town of Mattapoisett obtained title to “Ned’s Point Light-House Reservation” for $3,000.
- The reservation renamed “Veterans of Mattapoisett Memorial Park.”
- Coast Guard retained structure as well as .17 of an acre of land and a right of way.
1952-1961 Coast Guard decommissioned the light for 9 years
Note: Although Ned’s Point Light was decommissioned from 1952 to 1961, a newspaper article written in 1957 stated that the Coast Guard “keeps it in operation from April 15 through October 15.”
1961 Coast Guard installed the present lens.
1988 Formal approval of listing Ned’s Point Lighthouse in the National Register of Historic Places.
1993 Adopted by Flotilla 67, First District Northern Region